Looking across from the dining room at Kings, to the cloisters and surrounds, the random door in the middle of the wall has often puzzled folk, as to its previous use.
As you can see from the lovely 1902 photograph, the view was slightly different, with the puzzle of iron steps and an escape ladder with a wheel system which lowered it to ground level……..very different health and safety rules back then.
The magnificent greenery still blooms each year but nowadays, in a much more refined manner.
Copyright Berkhamsted School Archive 2019
Click images to enlarge
A house on the corner of Grubbs Lane (now Chesham Road), was purchased in 1888 by the Headmaster, T.C.Fry. Known as Overton, the Junior boarding house and its pupils, were under the care of Mr. G.H.Gowring. Both Overton and St.John’s were the first houses to be lit by electricity in Berkhamsted, after Mr.Gowring had installed a gas engine.
The photos show the rear of Overton and the gardens in 1934, the boys of the house in 1939 and how Overton, in much busier times, looks today.