Berkhamsted Boys School Scout Troop Shield
Donated by Mr S. Manzil, OB Adders, 1977.
Since writing about Scout memorabilia in the February Update, this distinctive shield, along with a football challenge trophy had been found in a loft clearance and returned to the School by an OB, who was paying a return visit to the town. It is believed that a collection of trophies had been stored under the old Deans’ Hall stage at one point and several of the items had been taken away to be repaired and then forgotten about. The very dirty metal parts were removed and gently cleaned. The wooden backboard had many little nail holes and shadows around the edge, suggesting that award plates had been previously fixed to it. With a little reshaping and polishing it has been returned to, maybe not its original but certainly new glory.
The smaller wooden awards board was found in a carrier bag a few months before. It records the names of the Berkhamsted Scout Patrols, such as Peewits, Otters and Bulldogs between 1947 and 1968. An explanatory silver plate was added to the bottom of the board and the two items are now on display in the Exhibition Room.
Click image to enlarge
Copyright Berkhamsted School Archive 2017