Old paper2 kb Archive logo copy
New Donations Past Donations Leaving a Legacy Old paper2 kb

New Donations

Scheme pages

A donation of sorts….. this slim book was saved from the dust and grime of the West Wing cellar by one of the Estates team, who happened to be working with a contractor during the half-term.

 

It is the earliest piece of printed material for the Girls’ School that the Archive holds, dated May 13 1887, a year before the opening of the Girls’ School at 222 High Street. The title page is self-explanatory - promoting the Education of Girls and there are fifty two clauses covering such subjects as  Governors (four women duly qualified to discharge the duties of office), boarding, voting, Headmistresses, appointments and dismissals, income and fees, scholarships, prizes and exemptions. High expectations, continued today.

 

 

Click image to enlarge

Girls quad PE

One of four photographs donated by the daughter of Elizabeth Trye, one of four sisters who attended Berkhamsted School for Girls in the late 1920s.

 

The original open cloisters can just be seen along with the tennis nets, occupying the area that is now the Grass Quad and Nash-Harris building.

Steam book

The book launch for ‘Steaming through Berkhamsted’ was held in Old Hall on November 5th.

 

Written and compiled by Mary Casserley, Art Dept., and her father Richard Casserley OB Bees,1956. A very informative and nostalgic look at steam trains and the local area, with material sourced from the vast collection of memorabilia and photographs, collected by the author's grandfather and father respectively.  

Copyright Berkhamsted School Archive 2017

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Scheme